Leaving the Farm and Poultry Thoughts

This morning we are taking a break from the farm to go babysit for my sister while she is at a wedding. Honestly it will be nice to have an excuse to get away even if it won't be quiet and relaxing. When all the cousins get together their favorite thing to do is tattle on each other. I think they will grow out of it in a few years but I don't remember ever fighting that much with my cousins.

In the last few days I have gone back and forth between how many poultry to keep and how many to butcher. Some of our meals have been from homegrown and some from the store and the huge difference in texture and flavor makes it hard for me to say we won't raise any for meat next year. However, I also see that when I don't have so many animals I am more patient and loving with my kids. When Mr. Dirt and his friend Mr. G have their deer for the season it will be time to butcher the last of the birds and I am really looking forward to the help from their family this time around. In return we will send them home with some pretty, delicious birds as well.

No comments