Kids Helping Too Much or Too Little

So I went out to milk yesterday morning and found two does tied into their milking stalls staring at me and bleating plaintively. I thought my head would fly off. Had they been left in there all night? How was that possible since I had milked in the field the night before with Chamomile and hadn't milked Athena at all? Was Alzheimer's in my near future? Finally I worked through what must have happened: this morning Paige told me that the goats were ready to be milked. I agreed with her and went about by morning doing breakfast and making Jon's lunch. So this is what I came up with--she had gone out and unhooked the does from their tethers and clipped them into their stalls as soon as she got up that morning.

So what to do? Paige increasingly takes her own initiative to solve problems and help me with my work. The problem is if there is a miscommunication between us then animals could die. I love that she is thinking for herself and is so anxious to interact with the animals and do things that she sees as important and grown up. Not sure what to do, bless her little heart!

2 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My momma always used to ask me to tell her the directions/what I was going to do back.
    I.e. "Okay so what are you going to do?"
    "I'm gonna go feed my doggy"
    "And are you gonna give him chocolate or grapes?"
    "No!"
    "Why?"
    "'cuz he could die."
    "And are you gonna put the food up once your done feeding him?"
    "Yeeeeeesssssss MOMMA!" *roll eyes*
    "Okay, come get me when you're done so I can check and make sure everything's put up."
    *I run off*
    OR
    You can tell her to come get you when she helps out with an animal. You can take that time to praise her and also look around and make that no potentially hazardous situations have been created.
    Of course then you do have to stop what you're doing and go look every time she comes and gets you - which isn't much fun.

    It can wear out a child's patience - being micro-managed, but it works and eventually the child learns and it's not necessary forever . :)

    Hope that's useful.

    ReplyDelete