Local Wool Producers


Pat Day Hartwell used to be my neighbor and somehow I missed the memo when she moved the Caldwell. So it was somethings of a surprise when I called her to buy fleece for the KickStarter to find they were gone. My first sheep here on our farm was purchased from their flock. A beautiful chocolate brown, registered, Romney ewe. And boy was she a knot head! Towards the end we sold her because she spent so much time dragging me on my butt when  went to move her to her next grazing spot. Apparently if I had hand-fed her grain an other treats she would have come around because that is what Hartwells do to calm their sheep down just before they take them to the shows. Personally my experience was limited to bum lambs that I had raised from babies and a wild crazy sheep was WAY out of my realm of coping. So we sold her, but we still have her lovely fleece and if we could have purchased a lamb and bottle fed it then we would still have her today.

Hartwells sell roving from their own fleece, dyes, spinning wheels, drop spindles, carding tools, and commercially carded fleeces that have been purchased from larger farms. All-in-all I would highly recommend anyone who likes fiber arts to check them out. I am not being paid, or reimbursed in any way for this article, but I got such a good deal on all my fiber that I thought you guys might like to know a fabulous small-farm source!

No comments